Learn more about our growth in 2019-2020.
In the 2020-2021 fiscal year (September 1st – August 31st) Groves invested more deeply in data collection and analysis allowing us to serve and impact students with greater strength across all parts of the organization. We are so grateful for your support!
Total Groves operating budget: $13 Million
$2.1 Million Raised (25% more than last year)
1,147 Total Gifts
- $1,561,100 awarded in financial aid
- 88 students awarded financial aid
- 450+ community members attended 13 community events and education workshops
- 464 volunteer hours from 59 volunteers
- $820,000+ in grants to support Groves Literacy Partnerships
Groves’ Vision is to redefine the way our nation is taught, one student, one teacher, and one school at a time.
- More than 90% of Groves Academy first-year students (grades 2-8) saw impressive growth in Oral Reading Fluency.
- 63 new students began their Groves education experience and 29 students transitioned to 23 different schools (both private and public) to continue their journeys.
- 12 graduates are bound for their future next step.
- Students received more than 5,000 hours of tutoring.
- 3,500+ hours of speech and language therapy sessions completed.
- 612 diagnostic evaluations were performed.
- 236 students attended in-person summer school.
- We started the 2020-2021 school year in person at Groves Academy, the Groves Learning Center, and in our Groves Literacy Partnerships schools (with a few virtual exceptions). We were reminded of the power of relationship-building as we welcomed masked, but clearly smiling and eager faces through our doors
- 20 students attending underserved Groves Literacy Partnerships schools received a no-cost comprehensive psychoeducational diagnostic evaluation from a Groves Learning Center Psychologist through our Psychoeducational Assessment for All (PAA) program.
- 11 Groves Literacy Coaches supported 289 classroom teachers at partner schools.
- 100% of faculty studied more than 40 topics for hundreds of hours of professional development.
- 38 Groves tutors supported students both in-person and virtually.
- 61% of Groves teachers and literacy coaches have advanced degrees.
- 21 Groves teachers and literacy coaches have worked at Groves for 10 or more years.
- 47 partner schools and 5,500 students served by Groves Literacy Partnerships.
- More than 20 school presentations were made to potential GLP partner schools.
- For the first time, GLP expanded its impact to deliver summer school to more than 500 students in six Minneapolis charter schools and one school site of Minneapolis Public Schools. This new summer program was specifically designed to help students with the highest need through literacy training and coaching of summer teaching staff.
- 3 of the GLP partner schools get PAA support for their students.
Groves Virtual Gala
Every dollar raised at the gala helped provide financial aid for our students and helped close the literacy achievement gap with our partner schools.
- 1,000+ attendees tuned in from coast to coast and around the world
- More than $600,000 raised
- Nearly $70,000 in donated items for silent auction
- $58,000 in corporate sponsorship
Top Five Mission Moments
“After our daughter’s time at Groves the possibilities seem so much bigger. And that means so much to our family. We can imagine so many more possibilities for her now.”
-Groves Academy Parent
“Thank you! My daughter has really grown in confidence and gained tools to be able to take into her upcoming school year. We have had her at Groves summer school the last two years and plan to continue sending her in the future.”
-Groves Summer School Parent
“Your (Groves Literacy Partnerships) model for ensuring that kids acquire essential literacy skills is making a huge difference for so many students in the Twin Cities, including the many students who attend Hiawatha Academies. [And] one of the things I feel proudest of is that all students who enter Hiawatha will have strong early literacy instruction and our partnership with Groves is the reason I can say this so confidently.”
-Director of Curriculum at GLP Partner School
“…My family and I are so grateful for you and your team. We don’t have to worry so much about our daughter’s academic success because whatever the results of the assessment we will finally have a place to start heading in the right direction. Not really knowing what the problem is has been crippling and that lack of support from the people who should have been guiding us has just been really discouraging. Thank you, thank you, thank you for being such a blessing in our life.”
-Parent (who received a no-cost comprehensive psychoeducational diagnostic evaluation from a Groves’ Learning Center Psychologist through our Psychoeducational Assessment for All (PAA) program)
”I feel extremely lucky to go to Groves and get the help I really needed and get the support from the faculty. The faculty has made me believe I can reach for the stars and go after my dreams.”
– Groves Academy Senior
We build confidence, success, and purpose through transformative learning experiences.
To redefine the way our nation is taught, one student, one teacher, and one school at a time.
Our Core Values
Authenticity, Collaboration, Compassion, Discovery, Tenacity
NEVER MISS AN UPDATE
Don’t forget to sign up for our news and blog updates in the purple box below- and follow us on social media so you don’t miss a thing.
Share your news, success story, or meaningful moment about Groves. Click here.